CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Running Shoes & Feeling Fab

Today was a HUGE day. After I dropped E to school, it was up to town for G to attend an appointment, and by the time we had finished that and our jobs in town, it was time to head home to collect E. So I'm feeling rather tired today, but I do feel like today was a success so I'm happy about that.

Fitness

No time for exercise today, but as a little reward for the stressful day I had, and sticking with the C25K so far, I decided to try on some real running shoes! (In no way can I afford these yet, but I wanted to know what they felt like LOL).

So I went to our local Athlete's Foot, and whilst their little machine doo-dad that you walk across to determine your foot type and action wasn't working, the salesman was very knowledgeable and was able to look at my feet, watch me walk, and work out what I need.

According to him, the factors I need to take into consideration are:
  • Late Pronation (apparently I roll my foot inward just before I lift my toes off the ground)
  • Higher Arches (not sure if they are High high, or just higher than normal)
  • Straight Ankles (no idea how this impacts LOL)
And based on that, I need a shoes that is designed for Stability more than just cushioning. So, he whipped out 3 pairs for me to try on, and I selected the pair I felt most comfy in...



The Brooks Adrenaline GTS 10 (although he did tell me that they weren't actually allowed to write out the details of shoes for me, but he did anyway... wonder if my fab outfit helped this too!) The pair I tried on did look slightly different but we probably have an Australian version or something silly.

Now, for the shocking part... the price.... $219.95! Now this may not be a lot for a proper running shoe (I have no idea!), but its certainly the most I would ever have paid for a pair of shoes... EVER! And they will no doubt wear out much quicker than regular shoes!!!

OK so you can tell I'm a little shocked LOL I will definitely have to give this some long hard thought when the time does come to purchase new shoes... They did feel lovely though :D

Clothing

This was the highlight of my day!

Thanks to the awesome gals at YLF, I planned an outfit that made me feel fab, and that feeling was definitely helpful in my dealings with the health professionals (and maybe even the shoe salesman!).

This was what I tried on last night. I actually wore this with my hair re-straightened, and make up on. Oh and I added a black blazer for when I was at the Health Clinic - thank goodness because I was cool in there!




The best part about this outfit though, was that I felt completely ME and totally at ease. I want to wear this every single day! So, I think I will try to incorporate more of this into my every day style - yes, I will be by far the most well-dressed parent picking up my daughter from school, but gosh I felt good today.

Spending

$10.45 for food whilst in town today!

That was certainly enough considering the bills I have.... but thankfully, I had zero mail when I arrived home, so that means zero new bills LOL

6 comments:

kim

yikes! I do think $200 is a bit much for a running shoe- unless you are training for the olympics. I wouldn't advise you spend more than $100.
(unless things are just really priced differently down under)

Theresa

LOL that's kind of what I was thinking Kim - and I'm certainly never going to the olympics!!

I know you can get lots of sports shoes for around $60-100 so I think I may just use this information and go to one of the other stores. Actually, that's probably why they don't give out the details of the shoes you try on - so you have to go back to them... but still, everywhere I looked online last night in Aus had them at the same price.

kim

you should be able to get a good quality in Nike, Adidas, Muzuni (sp?) Asics. Do you have any of these brands there?

Kate

Wow, I wouldn't spend more than $100 on running shoes. However, I'm really glad you went to someone who knew what he was doing, because getting running shoes based on what they'll do for you rather than how they look is super important. It's really easy to injure yourself if you aren't wearing good shoes (or aren't stretching), so keeping that in mind makes it easier to invest in a good pair! But I think you can find some that are a bit less pricey and will do an equally great job.

Theresa

yes we have all those brands here so I'm positive I'll be able to find something suitable without spending a fortune.

Theresa

I totally agree Kate - knowing that I need more stability in a shoe and good arch support is going to go a long way towards narrowing down the search and ensuring I am actually able to continue my attempts at running - without sending me bankrupt!

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me your comments! I love to read and respond to them all :)