CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

One problem solved... or maybe just delayed!

After yesterday's post and my troubles with technology, I decided today I would do a thorough computer clean up...  Sure I've deleted files and programs I don't use etc, but today I did everything I know to do (and believe me, there is probably plenty more I should do, but this is the extent of my skills!).

So, first I downloaded some new anti-spyware/malware/adaware protection stuff (a 9 hour scan showed over 1000 "Infected Objects" which I happily removed!).

Then I installed a new anti-virus program, and it came up with a couple more little Trojan thingies to remove.

Then I did a "disk clean up" and a "disk defragment"...  

Now I have to say, I have no idea what any of this really means, I just know that you are supposed to do these things (especially when I realised my old protection software had expired and I hadn't renewed it for some reason...).

I've also backed everything up to my external hard drive now!

Hopefully, removing all the nasties, tidying up the disks and now having fully functioning protection software means my poor little laptop may just start to show signs of life again rather than death!

I know it needs a new battery (it's now plugged into the power constantly as the battery is dead), and from my very basic research could do with some more RAM, but hopefully today's effort will buy me enough time to price these things and make a decision - I know a battery is around $300.

Thanks Luis for your suggestions too!  VERY helpful indeed :D

4 comments:

yublocka

Firstly can I just say I LOVE your new haircut!!

Secondly, once I've recovered from my haircut envy (ok maybe I haven't recovered quite yet) I just wanted to commiserate on the whole laptop thing. My battery has died as well (for the 3rd time since buying it, but its long out of warranty). It's so annoying having to always have it plugged in. Argh!!!

Luís Magalhães

I'm happy that my suggestions where helpful. I think you did about everything you could do on the software side, baring a system reinstall, that I guess is not something you are comfortable with.

As a small note, I would caution you on the use of "PC cleanup" programs. Most of them are snake oil, and can actually hurt more than they help, so do a good research about whatever one you use.

Antivirus programs, as well, tend to be very resource intensive, and as such they also bog down older laptops. If you are not using AVAST, AVG, or Microsoft Security Essentials, I recommend you switch to one of those, as they are the lightest I know off - plus, they are free, and some of the best in their field. Personally, I stand by Microsoft's.

Just be sure to always uninstall your previous antivirus program before installing a new one, and never ever have two antivirus programs installed at the same time.

Well done on backing up your stuff, that's the wisest think to do that most people forget to do until it's too late. Since you did that, you can be more adventurous in your cleaning.

If you have the time and inclination, you could check out CCleaner, a very good PC cleaning tool, and Spybot Search and Destroy, one of the very best malware cleaners. Googling for either will put you on the right track.

I'm shocked to see that a new battery is so expensive, by the way - a hundred dollars more and I can buy a whole new (modest, but new!) laptop where I live.

Theresa

hehe Thanks Tam!!! Laptops are so good, but certainly seem a lot more trouble at times hey LOL

Thanks Luis - I do have AVG free, so that's good to know! Someone else I know suggested Spybot too, so that's also encouraging!

I priced a few things yesterday and 2GB of new RAM will be around $100, and a genuine battery is $300, but I can get a non-genuine for anywhere from $50+... I just wish I knew for sure that spending the $$ would be worth it! If I could guarantee that the RAM & battery would solve everything I'd do it, but if there's any chance I will spend it, and still need a new laptop, I don't want to waste the $$!!

LOL I probably overthink these things hey! But, I looked at a few tech catalogues and for around $400+ I could pick up a netbook, and could easily use it with my large monitor and external hard drive at home!!

hmmm some more decisions to make LOL

Luís Magalhães

Strictly speaking, the 300$ battery is probably better than the 50$ battery, but I doubt it is 250$ better. :P

Netbooks are nice too, it mostly depends of the kind of programs you usually use. Since I mostly work with web apps through my browser, PC specs are not a major concern.

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me your comments! I love to read and respond to them all :)