Gosh, you can tell we are in the last week of school here before a two week holiday - everyone is getting tired and cranky! The week also seems to be rather busy - oh well, a few days then we can all relax for two glorious weeks!
Today is Day 14 of the 30DLBL Challenge, and its all about Life Reflections.
Now I must admit, the first half of this exercise has been done by me over the past couple of years with the help of my psychiatrist - I have been seeing her monthly for nearly 5 years, and we have delved very deeply into my past as we worked on getting me through some of the more significant events.
So, rather than re-hashing it all, I'm going to just summarise the 5 years worth of work!
1. I would rate my current life as 4.2/10 - this is based on my life wheel exercise back at the very beginning of the 30DLBL.
2 & 3. My biggest milestones/achievements and most significant events all fall pretty neatly into just three areas of my life:
- My childhood (I don't care to elaborate on that, except to say that as a result of my childhood I no longer have a relationship with my mother and making that decision was one of the most positive turning points of my life).
- Having my own children and supporting them through their special needs and chronic health conditions from, well, even before they were born...
- My marriage, and the end of it.
4& 5. Before making some rather large changes in my life in the past 2-3 years, I used to experience:
- Low self-esteem
- Low confidence
- difficulty opening up
- difficulty trusting
- being "needy" and "clingy"
- anxiety and depression
- a complete loss of "self"
- My incredible inner strength - I am certainly not the weakling I thought I was.
- I began embracing my true-self and living my own life.
- I no longer experienced any of the above effects.
Moving onto the second part of the exercise, the new milestones I want to achieve in my life are those things I have put in my 5 year plan. Meeting any of these goals will be an achievement I am very proud to have accomplished!
The things I plan to do differently are:
- Continue to recognise my strength, and embrace my true self.
- Remain focused now that I feel I have a direction to head!
- Create Action Plans and follow them.
I guess this particular task has been a bit different for me, because I feel like I have already been through the past, worked out its effects on me, and "corrected" many of these effects, so my main task left now is purely to move forward.
And, the moving forward thing has been the thing I have struggled with most because I haven't really had an idea of where I wanted to be heading - I knew I wanted to do big things with my life but wasn't sure what. So, the 30DLBL Challenge Part 1, was incredibly beneficial for me in that respect.
Although, after the day I had yesterday, I am going to have to revise some of my goals - I endured some unexpected car repair expenses, a digital camera that completely died, and realised just how little life is left in my laptop! So I am going to have to review "Operation Financial Freedom" with these upcoming expenses and see what my new plan of attack will be... I may well continue my current savings plan, but just focus on the more immediate goals of replacing camera and laptop, and pushing my other goals back a bit... Some more thinking is required!


5 comments:
Hey Theresa,
Life is hard sometimes, even most of the time for some people. From what you shared, I can guess you were in some tough spots in the past, but props to you for being able to move past that.
Believe me, I know how difficult it is to get rid of some ghosts and land back on your feet. :)
You've been tireless in the pursuit of the September challenge and I find that inspiring. Keep it up.
Maybe your financial setbacks can be worked around a bit; weren't you considering buying an iPhone or Android Phone? Most options come with a pretty good camera these days - certainly not on par with an expensive digital camera, but good enough for everyday photos.
As for your laptop, I've found that there are cheap ways to extend one's life: battery replacement, extra ram (it's a very cheap component and works wonders)and a system format / operating system reinstall - even better if your new OS is lighter than the previous one. Simply switching from Vista to Ubuntu or Windows 7 can net huge performance gains.
Oh, just after replying here, I found an article in CrunchGear that made me think about your laptop woes. It's aimed at people entering college, but you might want to read it, the advice may prove sound for you:
http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/09/11/dont-waste-money-on-a-new-computer-for-college/
Thanks so much for all your suggestions Luis! I need all the help I can get when it comes to technology!
My beautiful 6 year old daughter has told me I can use her camera until I sort mine out! I've always told her it was her camera and I would use mine, so didn't even think of hers, but being the generous little creature she is, it was her first thought - so not only am I incredibly proud of her, but I can delay the camera issue a bit and hopefully, as you suggest, my new phone will be enough for my needs!
And thanks for that link - I'll read it in greater detail later. But a new battery and some RAM do sound like the things that would help immensely.
Thanks again!
You're welcome, feel free to ask if you have any tech-related questions, it's not really my area of expertise but I know a thing or too, and I am happy to help.
I finally managed to write my own life reflections at the comment section on day 14 post of the Personal Dev. Blog, may I interest you in having a look?
Hey Luis,
I'm spending the morning catching up on blog's and all my online lives, so I shall be over to look!!
Post a Comment
Thanks for leaving me your comments! I love to read and respond to them all :)