CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, October 23, 2009

The week that was...

What a week. I feel like it’s just flown by!

The first few days were a bit rough – the bushfires that have run rampant in our area caused considerable problems not only with road closures, but also our health. Fortunately a few days here at the beach and we are all much healthier.

Of course, these were minor issues compared to the family who lost their home in the blaze. I am still amazed that the Fire Fighters did such a fabulous job, that out of all the homes that came under threat in the past week or so, only one home was lost.

So when the request came through Freecycle for anything to help that family, we happily packed up a box with some supplies for their kids. At first the girls were a bit miffed that I asked them to think about the things we had that we could give away, but after talking about the situation some more, Miss 5 was very happy to help out and I was really proud of her. She was asking some really thoughtful questions and was showing sincere concern.

Wednesday saw Miss 3 have her fist day at Pre-Kindy. This was a day I had been looking forward to for a very long time, but was also quite apprehensive about due to her social skills issues. Fortunately, she had a lovely morning (only stayed for half the day), and she says she is looking forward to next week. She also coped reasonably well with being surrounded by other children. I am really looking forward to having some time by myself on Wednesday’s now.

Miss 3 also had her paed appointment. This went well. Her paed agrees that we have some serious markers in her behaviour that we need to monitor closely, and has also recommended our local Community and Family Health perform an ADOS test on her – this will help work out if she is struggling enough to be considered having an Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I should hear back within the week as to what is happening with regards to that.

And I have finally sorted out my home internet connection. I’m not overly happy with the result, but at the same time, it beats the alternatives. Due to our location, the options were an incredibly expensive wireless internet connection ($80/mth), a cheaper wireless connection with a company that have an atrocious system and deplorable customer service, or dial up…

So, for the time being, I am now paying $10/mth for unlimited downloads and time on the internet using DIAL UP!! I can’t really believe I have had to downgrade, but I can’t afford the expensive option, I can’t – on principal – use the other option, so it was either dial up or no internet at all.

And you know what, it’s slow, but not so slow that I won’t use it. The only problem I have with it is that the laptop now has to be connected to the phone line to be online, so I can’t take the laptop to the lounge room to do my jobs while the girls are watching TV or playing – I’m now stuck in my office. Oh, and I keep forgetting to swap the phone line from the laptop back to the phone!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me your comments! I love to read and respond to them all :)