CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Preparing for Tropical Cyclone Yasi...

Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi is now heading towards the Northern East Coast of Australia, and where I live is now in the official Cyclone Watch Zone - not the Warning Zone thankfully.

This will only be the second tropical cyclone that has my area within its warpath since I moved to this lovely little coastal town in October 2009.

Last year TC Ului came close, but besides losing my power for a night and receiving a bucket load of rain, we were largely unaffected.  TC Yasi, however, is looking to be a much more severe storm.  TC Anthony crossed the coast the night before last further north of where I live, however was a much milder storm and besides a day of windier than usual conditions, didn't impact on us.

So today I have made a start on my preparations.  I mowed my lawn and brought all the outdoor furniture and toys under cover, dragged the trampoline from the yard to be as under cover as much as I possibly could.  Some of these items may need to be brought into the house if Yasi does come closer to me than expected, but for now they are ok.  I am also so very happy my decluttering efforts have given me a clear garage for my car to be safely stored.

I have also filled containers with just over 20 liters of filtered water.  I have baked bread and biscuits for the girls, some biscuits for me, and some muffins for us all.  I have a roast that was cooked yesterday in the fridge, and am planning on making meatballs tomorrow.  Food is probably my biggest concern because of the girls allergies.  I can't just duck to the shop and pick up something for them to eat.  I need to have plenty of their supplies on hand and ready for them should the worst happen.

My plan for tonight and tomorrow is to prepare an emergency and evacuation kit, and to keep a very close eye on all the updates and warnings, so I can be as prepared as possible

I REALLY hope all my preparations are not needed, but at least I know I have done all I can for now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me your comments! I love to read and respond to them all :)