CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Cash Envelope Budgeting System Update

It's been almost 3 months now since I very first started using my Cash Envelope Budgeting System.

I think I'm at the stage where I may have to accept that this just isn't working out as well in practicality as it is does in theory for me at the moment.

The biggest issue I have been facing have come from those unexpected medical expenses - my recent physiotherapist sessions, Miss G's upcoming Ear, Nose, Throat specialist appointment (and probable tonsillectomy... and removal of adenoids - but I'm not sure what that's called yet!), some blood tests that Miss E is going to need, and an unexpectedly high electricity account.

I have been "borrowing" from my cash envelopes and using my credit card in order to actually cover these expenses.  Not exactly what was in the plan :(

I'm pretty sure the reason is that these unexpected expenses have cropped up just too soon into my new plan - I simply haven't had time to build up the surplus I needed in my account to cover these things, whilst also trying to fill my envelopes to cover those expenses, and attempt to pay off my credit card.

Some of the dilemma is most certainly that I can only barely make ends meet when I have these extra expenses, despite cutting back as much as possible.

So my plan for this coming fortnightly pay period (starting Tuesday Feb 9th), is to not withdraw any cash, just leave it all in my account, and possibly even deposit the small amount of cash I have here back to my account.  There is absolutely no point in having cash in my "Gifts" envelope right now, if I can't afford to pay my electricity account!

I think this system may work better if you are unlikely to ever have unexpected expenses, or have a small amount of savings to back you up for these expenses.

For now, I think I'll be going back to my old routine of just keeping my cash in my account and using it from there - I will just be a little more focused on building up my savings little by little wherever possible.  I really do like the system, and I'm sure it can work really well - but just not when you have all your bills arrive at once!

I will of course, continue to look for paid work to help boost those savings and further reduce my debt, but until then, I need to have a system that doesn't leave me incapable of paying my bills!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me your comments! I love to read and respond to them all :)